Julia Brookes, the renowned journalist and Travel Doctor of the Saturday Times, recommends our Ski With Confidence Coaching Courses. Following last year’s success we are delighted to be able to offer a comprehensive programme of courses in the UK and Italy.
Great friends, gorgeous location, amazing scenery, fab apres, log fires – what is there not to like! If your answer is the skiing then it’s time to invest in your mindset. Imagine how proud you’d feel to overcome your fear and be the skier you’d love to be – feeling relaxed on the slopes, laughing your way down the mountain, soaking up the cool mountain air. That would be incredible wouldn’t it? How great to be able to look forward to all those future experiences with a smile in your heart?
We have the perfect solution with our bespoke Ski With Confidence Coaching Courses to shift your mindset away from anxiety,so you can fall in love with skiing, whatever your level.
For more details click here…
Bags packed and all ready to go but feeling a little anxious? Skiing can be the most exhilarating and terrifying sport. There’s the pull of the beautiful mountains and the great apres to be balanced against the fear of being out of control, hurting yourself and being left behind. At ProAbility we’re completely with you and understand that anxiety can take over and ruin our enjoyment. We’re running Ski Confidence Coaching Courses to help you manage that anxiety and fall in love with skiing. In the meantime, here are a few top tips to help ease you into your holiday and ensure you have a great time.
- Check ahead on the weather to ensure you have the right clothes with you – wind chill can be freezing!
- If you’re in a party of skiers where you feel like everyone is way better, peel off and have lessons in the mornings so you can meet for lunch. That way you ski with people of a similar level and still get to enjoy time on the slopes with friends.
- Remember most of us only ski 1 week a year – it’s a journey – they say it takes 10,000 hours to be an expert so don’t be hard on yourself.
- If you feel the anxiety rising on the slopes. Stop at the side of the run, take a moment admire the view and take in the mountain air. Try a few deep breathing exercises and you’ll soon start to feel calmer.
- Remember you don’t have to be an expert to enjoy skiing. Relax into it and build your confidence on the easier runs and soak up the views – it beats being at work!
Have a great time, enjoy those team experiences and of course …. the apres!
It’s snowing in the Alps and a great start to the season! If you’d love to go but are feeling a bit anxious then follow our top tips to ensure you create a great environment for yourself.
- Choose a resort with a good snow record, there’s nothing worse than battling with ice or slushy snow.Aim for somewhere with a wide variety runs, so you always have choices on the type of run you take.
- Make sure you ski in a mixed ability group. There’s nothing worse than always being last and just as you pause for breath, everyone shoots off down the slope.
- Choose the right kit – so often a pair of skis and boots are thrust into your hand in the ski hire shop and we just crack on. Take time to talk to them about the type of skiing you do – if you get skis tailored to your ability, they’ll be much more forgiving on the
- Look good, feel gorgeous. Wear the right clothes – not only a great fit and weatherproof but also make you feel good. There are some great ski outfits out there in all price ranges.
- When you’re in the resort try and stay away from the busy slopes, often heading off to an adjacent valley can make all the difference. There’s nothing more stressful than having skiers and snowboarders coming at you from all directions.
- If you’d like to develop your technique but find ski groups intimidating think about investing in a few 1:1 instructor sessions instead, so the tuition is tailored to your needs.
- Check out the apres ski to ensure its suits your taste, whether it’s a quiet beer or some serious partying on the slopes. It’s all out there, but not in every resort, each one has it’s own vibe. Always worth checking out as apres is an essential part of reflecting and enjoying the great moments of the day.
However, if your anxiety is more deep seated and you’re challenge is managing the psychology of your skiing – that fear factor which holds you back from relaxing into it, then ski coaching will make all the difference.
Our Ski Confidence Coaching Courses are being run in January and March 2019 in Champoluc, Italy in collaboration with the fabulous Ski 2 Ltd. The aim is to release you from those inner fears and enable you to fall in love with skiing at whatever level. This course isn’t about technical expertise but empowering you to manage your fear of skiing and have fun on the slopes. Consider it as a gift to your family and friends… a gift of those many fun shared experiences ahead of you. We’ll provide a fabulous environment with like-minded individuals, using great coaching techniques to ensure that you discover the magic of skiing.
The focus of the course will be to shift your mindset from one that associates skiing with anxiety and fear to one where you feel calm and confidant. We’ll start with four 1:1 coaching sessions in the UK so that you’ll be well prepared and practised before even putting on those skis. We’ll be using various coaching techniques to enable you to make that shift from anxiety to confidence. By the time you arrive in Champoluc, you’ll have a clear vision of your skiing goal and you’ll understand your fear and know how to manage that inner critical voice, that has been so disruptive in the past. Most importantly you’ll know how to create your positive confidant skiing persona and be looking forward to putting it into practice.
Creating the right environment to enable this transformation from nervous to confidant skier is essential which is why I’ve teamed up with Ski 2 Ltd.They have a fantastic reputation for customer service and their attention to detail is second to none. They will take care of the all the logistics, so we can focus on creating the magic of skiing.
Just wanted say a big thank you to the participants of my Ski Confidence Coaching Course in Champoluc. What an amazing 3 days. The culmination of a series of coaching sessions, to change the mindset from anxious to calm, through to mindfulness ski coaching on the slopes was transformational.
“The mindfulness calmed my anxiety, combined with relaxation exercises, it was the first time I had been able to stop going into panic mode on the slopes”
The coaching and mindfulness enabled our participants to ski naturally, without focusing on instructions and self doubt. Watching their skiing evolve over the 3 days was inspirational.
“I’d heard of learning through experience rather than instruction but had never put it into practice. I can’t believe how my skiing has improved”
We stayed in a fabulous hotel with a gorgeous spa, perfect for easing the aches at the end of the day. There’s much to be said for creating the right environment and Ski 2 went the extra mile to ensure we had a seamless stay in the resort.
“It was such fun, I loved being on the mountain and just wanted to keep skiing”
It was a great experience to share, from our series of coaching sessions during the preceding 4 weeks through to the reflective coaching in Champoluc.
I’m already looking forward to our next Ski Confidence Coaching Course in January and March 2020. If you’d like to hear more about how you can develop your confidence on the slopes check out www.ProAbility.co.uk
Let Skiing Take Your Confidence to New Heights.
Confidence is the rich seam running through ourselves which impacts on how we deal with challenges. It makes the difference between stepping up and forward or stepping away. Skiing epitomises how confidence effects ability: some seem to steer away from the sport in their 40’s and 50’s as they loose their confidence and fear hurting themselves on the slopes.How come many are out there living their dream whilst we’re melting away in the background?
Welcome to my skiing world – I used to spend most of my skiing holiday out of my comfort zone, with more stress and anxiety than pleasure. After years of skiing and a couple of bad injuries, I was on the verge of hanging up my skis. But I really wanted to do it. I didn’t want to miss out on those shared experiences with family and friends as they skied off into the distance leaving me at home.
My epiphany came three years ago. We were skiing with friends when one of the guys decided he didn’t fancy a particularly challenging run and decided to skip it and head off for a coffee. He didn’t sound upset, humiliated or look like he was about to burst into tears. He was completely relaxed yet I was feeling emotional, anxious and a failure for not wanting to ski that run. We were of similar skiing ability but our mindsets were worlds apart. After a stop, pause, reflect moment, I knew I needed to change the whole way I viewed my skiing. Without anxiety and stress, I too could re-join those out there, living their dream on the slopes. I needed to re-find my inner confidence and soak up the experience rather than anxsting over every turn and movement on the slope.
Thankfully, as an experienced coach I was able to contextualised my issues and challenge myself to overcome my deep seated fears using some great coaching techniques. I wasn’t aiming to be an expert skier ready to throw myself down any black mogul field; I just wanted to rediscover the magic of skiing I once knew. I’d had numerous lessons and was more than familiar with the concept of how to ski – that was not the problem here. My challenge was to manage the psychology of my skiing – that fear factor which held me back from relaxing into it and having a great day. If this sounds familiar, then join the club as you’re not alone. We are that generation with many family and friends who love their skiing. With years of ski holidays ahead, we’re caught between sharing those precious times but dreading them! An added anxiety is should we step away and give up our skiing or step forward and overcome our challenges? I’d just like you to take moment and ….
- Imagine creating a more compelling future for your skiing – imagine if you weren’t fearful and anxious.
- Imagine your boldest dream – laughing your way through a day on the mountains.
- Imagine really looking forward to your holiday and revelling in the team experience – imagine how good that would feel!
- Imagine feeling good about saying – no – that slopes not for me thanks – I’ll take a break or a different route. How great would that feel?
- Imagine how good it would make you feel to overcome those anxieties and feel empowered on the slopes.
- Imagine the great impact this new found confidence would have on the rest of your life.
The great news is it can be achieved. I have done it and now love my skiing. I love it so much that I have designed a bespoke ski coaching experience so you too can re-discover the magic of skiing. A little ironic that here I am, shouting from the roof tops, that we can do this together when I was the one quaking in my boots at the top of a run not so long ago!
In January and March 2019 I will be running the first bespoke Ski Coaching Experiences in Champoluc, Italy in collaboration with the fabulous Ski2 Ltd. My aim is to release you from those inner fears and enable you to fall in love with skiing at whatever level. This course isn’t about technical expertise but empowering you to manage your fear of skiing and have fun on the slopes. Consider it as a gift to your family and friends… a gift of those many fun shared experiences ahead of you. We’ll provide a fabulous environment with like-minded individuals, using great coaching techniques to ensure that you discover the magic of skiing.
Let me give you a taste of what to expect:
- January 21st – 24th 2019 and March 4th – 7th 2019.
- A fabulous Italian resort, Champoluc, in the Aosta Valley
- Accommodation at Hotel Relais Des Glaciers, gorgeous 4* hotel with spa and outdoor heated pool
- The great services of Ski 2 Ltd, the leading providers of outstanding ski holidays in Champoluc.
- Pre-course coaching sessions so you are armed with great techniques before you even arrive.
- A group of like minded people who on the same journey with many experiences to share.
- Our personal ski instructor to take care of all our guiding and spotting the best lunch spots.
- Fabulous food, wine and laughter to enjoy.
- As your personal ski coach we will be taking this journey together to overcome those anxieties and discover the magic of skiing in Champoluc.
- We’re a small group with a maximum of 8 places.
My role is to design a great ski coaching experience to enable you to overcome your anxiety: your role is to step forward and join me to fall in love with skiing.
The cost of the Ski Coaching Experience is £1250 which includes all your coaching, airport transfers, 4* accommodation at Hotel Relais Des Glaciers, all meals, lift pass and ski instructor. To give you flexibility, flights and equipment hire are not included. If you’d like further details on the coaching or talk it through just send me an email to Louise on info@ProAbility.co.uk and we can arrange a chat. If you’d like to discuss flights, or make a booking please contact Ski 2 Ltd on 01962 713330 or email email@example.com.
Together we can create a great skiing future!
If you’re on the verge of quitting…. stop….pause….reflect!
This is a great opportunity to look at your 2019 resolutions in a completely different light. Rather than focusing on how you can achieve yours, think about how you can help someone else achieve theirs. So rather than being hard on yourself for not exercising 4 times a week, find a friend whose training for an event and team up with them to enable them reach their goals. It’s a win win … you get fit along the way, they have a training partner and you have great shared experiences. If you’re aiming to be more successful at work but are really struggling to step up, look at how you can enable your team to perform better. Utilise their strengths and develop them and, before you know it, you’ll have all the benefits of a successful team. In true coaching style, if you take the focus off you
thers around you. What a great way to start 2019!
World mental health day focuses our minds on the challenges of stress, how it makes us feel and how it impacts our daily lives. We all understand that some stress is good for us, but how much and how come some days we can deal with it and other times we feel over whelmed? The key is to challenge your stress and use it build resilience in the workplace, but that’s easier said than done.
Over the next few weeks I’m going to publish my top tips for managing your stress at work. It will help you build up a tool kit of coping strategies for managing those stressful times. There are so many factors influencing how we process our stress; how confidant we feel, how in control, our perception of how others view us, how secure we feel in our relationships and so the list goes on.
A great starting point is to have a stop, pause, reflect moment. So often we just battle on with all our lives allowing the stress build and ambush our thoughts. A great analogy is our new puppy, Maisie, who recently arrived in the household. She was greeted by a houseful of teenagers and an older dog, who was horrified that we thought a puppy was a good idea! All very perplexing and stressful for Maisie, who was used to living in a pen with just her brothers and sisters to play with. Suddenly, she was immersed in a whole new world and unfamiliar environment. Whenever she became over whelmed she would stop, sit and watch for a minute or so. You could see her observing, taking it all in and deciding on her next move. When she was ready she’d re-engage. In the first few weeks she’d do this several times a day and as time went by she stopped doing it. Maisie was following her natural instinct to manage her stress and to great effect. If we all took a leaf from Maisie’s book we’d be taking the first step to managing our stress.