Bags packed and all ready to go but feeling a little anxious? Skiing can be the most exhilarating and terrifying sport. There’s the pull of the beautiful mountains and the great apres to be balanced against the fear of being out of control, hurting yourself and being left behind. At ProAbility we’re completely with you and understand that anxiety can take over and ruin our enjoyment. We’re running Ski Confidence Coaching Courses to help you manage that anxiety and fall in love with skiing. In the meantime, here are a few top tips to help ease you into your holiday and ensure you have a great time.
- Check ahead on the weather to ensure you have the right clothes with you – wind chill can be freezing!
- If you’re in a party of skiers where you feel like everyone is way better, peel off and have lessons in the mornings so you can meet for lunch. That way you ski with people of a similar level and still get to enjoy time on the slopes with friends.
- Remember most of us only ski 1 week a year – it’s a journey – they say it takes 10,000 hours to be an expert so don’t be hard on yourself.
- If you feel the anxiety rising on the slopes. Stop at the side of the run, take a moment admire the view and take in the mountain air. Try a few deep breathing exercises and you’ll soon start to feel calmer.
- Remember you don’t have to be an expert to enjoy skiing. Relax into it and build your confidence on the easier runs and soak up the views – it beats being at work!
Have a great time, enjoy those team experiences and of course …. the apres!